SOLD OUT – Join Waitlist
with Wendy Hollender, Lara Call Gastinger, and Giacomina Ferrillo
Session 1: Monday – Wednesday August 28, 29, 30
(See Session 2: Friday – Sunday September 1, 2, 3 here.)
Location: Hollengold Farm, Accord NY
Instructors: Wendy Hollender, Lara Call Gastinger, and Giacomina Ferrillo
Level: ALL levels, aspiring to advanced
Each day (9:30am-4:30pm) of this 3-day workshop, each artist will present a 2-hour interactive lesson, and there will be a 1 hour lunch break. Attend only session 1 (August 28-30), only session 2 (September 1-3), or both sessions!
Enrich your botanical artistry with three days of awe, gratitude, and creativity. Gather with three internationally renowned botanical artists in the inspiring landscape of the Hudson Valley as they share their passion for botanical sketching.
Immerse yourself in this wonderful world, and experience nature’s magic in the foothills of New York’s Catskill Mountains. Learn from Wendy, Lara, and Giacomina about their different drawing techniques as you discover, depict, and dance with nature in a custom-made sketchbook. Try their methods and experiment with your own to create a journal that’s uniquely yours.
From Wendy, expect to learn about:
– creating a Travel Journal with a focus on Botanicals
– mini- landscapes, architectural details, moving objects (people, animals, birds)
– color, contrast and focal point with colored pencil and watercolor
From Lara, expect to learn about:
– basic plant identification & plant dissection
– sketching a full plant in pen
– how to add color with watercolor
– using boxes and text
From Giacomina, expect to learn about:
– choosing a subject and getting to know it by playing with shapes
– the importance of details
– cast shadows
– how to balance the composition of a page
Meet the Instructors
Wendy is a botanical illustrator, author, and instructor, as well as the founder of Draw Botanical. She is a member of the American Society of Botanical Artists and the National Tropical Botanical Garden Florilegium Project.
– BFA in Textile Design from the Rhode Island School of Design
– Certified by the New York Botanical Garden in Botanical Art and Illustration
– Featured in the 13th International Exhibition at Hunt Institute for Botanical Documentation
– Exhibited by Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, the Smithsonian National Museum for Natural History and the US Botanic Garden
– Author of The Joy of Botanical Drawing, Nature Journaling in a Nutshell, The Practice of Botanical Drawing, Botanical Drawing in Color and the self-published Botanical Drawing, A Beginner’s Guide
– Illustrator of Foraging and Feasting: A Field Guide and Wild Food Cookbook by Dina Falconi.
– Member of the National Tropical Botanical Garden Florilegium of Artists
Learn more about Wendy Hollender here.
Lara Call Gastinger
Lara Call Gastinger is a botanical artist and illustrator in Central Virginia. She was the chief illustrator for the Flora of Virginia Project and a two-time gold medalist at the Royal Horticultural Society Botanical Art Shows in London (2007, 2018). She is renowned for teaching how to create and maintain a Perpetual Journal.
The subjects of her art come from the natural world and her art reveals detailed evidence of change, decay, and processes that occur in nature. She finds great inspiration in a carrot that has gone to flower, a broken seed pod, twisted roots or insect damage to a leaf. She strives to make a plant portrait in such a way that it reveals its character and uniqueness. Her focus is on the small details in nature, down to the small venations in leaves which hopefully inspires others to look a bit deeper and pause a bit longer.
Find Lara’s Instagram @laragastinger.
– American Society of Botanical Artists
– McGuffey Art Center Associate Member
– Rivanna Master Naturalists
– Virginia Native Plant Society, Jefferson Chapter
– Botanical Artists of the North Capitol Region
Learn more about Lara Call Gastinger here.
Giacomina Ferrillo is an Italian artist, illustrator, and children’s books author. Her botanical sketchbook pages are highly appreciated on the web (over 100k followers on Instagram! @giacominaferrillo) and have been published by some international specialized magazines.
She is a member of ASBA (American Society of Botanical Artists) and has exhibited her works in London four times for SBA, the English Botanical Artists Society.
“I hope every time, by reproducing the inclination of a stem or the curve of a petal, to share the same feeling of joy that I feel. By examining a flower and its tiny details, we get closer to that perfection and magnificence that is in everything around us and that we often observe with eyes too distracted by our fast lives. Botanical art has the great merit of helping us focus on what is true and important as well as educating about the help that can be given to the planet. I would like what I do to help bring many others closer to this noble discipline.”
Learn more about Giacomina Ferrillo here.
Below is a list of supplies recommended for this workshop. Some brands are suggested, but you can use any supplies you prefer.
– Paper (custom sketchbook with a combination of each artist’s favorite kinds of paper!)
– Sepia Micron Pen, size 005
BRING YOUR OWN:
– Graphite Pencil (H or HB) – can be mechanical (003 or 005) and/or regular pencil with a good Sharpener
– Eraser (Tombow Mono Zero)
– Water Brush (Niji, Faber Castell, Molotow, small size tips)
– Watercolor (portable watercolor travel set (Arttoolkit, Beam Paints, GreenleafBlue, Case for Making, Winsor Newton, Schmincke) or watercolor pencils (Faber Castell Albrecht Durer)
– Colored Pencils (Faber Castell Polychromos)
– Magnifying Glass
– Small Ruler (see-through if possible)
– Bug Spray
– Water Bottle
Find our list of lodging recommendations here.
SOLD OUT – Join Waitlist
Cancellation Policy: In the event you cancel over 6 weeks before, a partial refund of 70% will be given if we are able to fill your spot. If we are unable to fill your spot or if you cancel less than 6 weeks before, we cannot issue a refund. We reserve the right to cancel a workshop at any time. If we cancel a workshop, you will receive a full refund.